The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Averett University Equestrian Team: A Season to Remember

The Averett University Equestrian Team has concluded another remarkable season, marked by exceptional performances, team spirit, and personal achievements. Despite facing unique challenges, the team’s dedication and talent shone through, earning them a well-deserved place among the top teams in their conference.

With riders competing at different ability levels in their respective divisions, each performance contributes to the team’s overall standing. Despite not having a full riding team, Averett placed an impressive 6th overall for teams in their conference for IHSA (Intercollegiate Horse Show Association). Additionally, Averett riders consistently placed at almost every show, showcasing their skill and determination.

“A personal achievement I am proud of this semester was my first experience showing horses. So, for me, placing first in my jumping course in a large class was a memorable experience,” said Marlee Luckett, a freshman from Hatteras Island, NC.

In the Intercollegiate Dressage Association (IDA), three of the Averett riders have qualified for and will be competing in Nationals at the end of the year. Additionally, in the Intercollegiate Horse Shows Association (IHSA), one of the riders qualified for Zones, although she was unable to compete due to personal reasons.

“The biggest challenge that the IDA team faced was not having a full team, I.e. a rider at every level. Because of this, we were not eligible as a team to qualify for Nationals. We are very hopeful that we will have a full team for the 2024-2025 show season,” said Elyse Keeney, a Junior from Fitchburg, Mass., and a member of the IDA team.

The Averett University Equestrian Team’s season was more than just about wins and losses; it was a journey of personal growth, development, and teamwork. Riders like Marlee Luckett, Elyse Keeney, and their teammates have shown dedication, resilience, and a commitment to excellence that will undoubtedly lead to continued success in the seasons to come.

“As a team, we hope to keep working towards developing and fostering a strong, familial team environment. From there, we also hope to develop new talent, especially with incoming freshmen, and therefore to produce more competitive rides at every level and in every individual,” said Keeney.