The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Make The Most Out of Your College Career, Be A Volunteer

In a small school with a tight community, like Averett University, students are always highly encouraged to get involved in and around the community. Jonel Fitz, a junior double majoring in biomedical science and psychology, is one of the Averett students that likes to be involved on campus any chance she gets. She is a part of 8 different clubs and organizations, all while managing her heavy-loaded school schedule.

“My interest in volunteering started when I joined the Bonner Leadership Program as a freshman,” Fitz said. “Now, I am also a Connection Leader, the junior class secretary for SGA, I am in Blue Crew, Sustainability Club, The Bandana Project and I have recently joined Cougars Activities Board.”

Volunteering on and off-campus, like Fitz, can be very helpful to both the Averett and Danville community. Not only does volunteering help others, there are also many benefits for the people volunteering themselves. Volunteering can help someone expand their network, learn new skils and advance their career. There are also a lot of mental and physical health benefits to volunteering such as, reducing stress, combat depression and it provides a sense of purpose.

“Being involved on campus and volunteering has helped me grow as a person,” Fitz said. “It has helped me connect with the community, given me lifelong friends, taught me new skills and has helped built my resume.”

Averett has over 20 different clubs and organizations that are open to join for everyone. There are also many different volunteering opportunities in the Danville community. Fitz mentioned that, although being involved on campus and volunteering might not seem for everyone, she highly encourages everyone to do it. 

“I would definitely tell people to be involved because it helps you come out of your shell,” Fitz said. “It is a great way to meet new people, explore the community and support things that you would want to see on campus. I believe it is one of the best ways to make the most out of your time in college.”

Although Fitz’ schedule might seem very loaded, she mentioned that she loves being busy since she is busy doing something that she loves. However, having that many extra curricular activities on top of a school schedule does require good time management. 

“I manage my time by having a set calendar and following it very strictly so that I do not overbook myself or forget something,” Fitz said. “It is very important that you don’t overstretch yourself. Finding a balance that works for you between your academic schedule, extracurricular activities and personal life is very important.”

There are many different ways to get involved in extracurricular activities on campus or volunteer in the Danville community. It might give you a new perspective on the community, you get to be a voice in the community and you might find yourself with new lifelong friendships. 

“The best thing that I have gotten out of being involved is meeting some of my closest friends,”Fitz said. “Being able to plan events, having a say in what happens on campus, having a chance to become a leader and being a voice for other students. It all feels very rewarding.”