The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

In Memory of Dr. David B. Hanbury

This past weekend the Averett community faced an unthinkable loss in beloved psychology professor Dr. David B. Hanbury. “It is with a heavy heart that we share the heartbreaking update of the passing of Dr. David Hanbury,” read the statement of Averett University President Dr. Tiffany Franks.

Dr. Hanbury found his place in the Averett family in August of 2015 and quickly became a loved member of the community. In his 8 years as a faculty member Hanbury touched the lives of many students. He also served as a faculty athletic mentor (FAM) for Averett University’s men’s soccer team. Aside from teaching, Hanbury was a devoted family member and animal lover with a passion for life and adventure. Dr. Hanbury also received the 2022-2023 Outstanding Faculty Member of the Year award for his dedication to his students and contributions to the university.

“He was loved by many,” Aidan Barber, a member of the men’s soccer team, said. “I am incredibly thankful for the humility and gratitude he always showed me and the rest of his students.”

“I had Dr. Hanbury’s classes freshman and sophomore year of college,” Kathryn Gay, said. “ I was majoring in equine studies which meant long days and early mornings. Dr Hanbury was always there with a big smile and encouraging anecdotes, he even allowed me to catch up on sleep in his class. He always supported his students and never sneered or had a negative attitude towards anyone. He was a one in a million type of professor and Averett as well as its students surely are grieving his loss.”

“I’m a psych major so not only will I greatly miss Hanbury at school but more than anything I’ll miss seeing him at work,” Carrington Elliot, said. “I work at Hollywood Pets where he and his family have brought all of their dogs for years. From losing his soul dog, Chloe last year to still taking care of Cricket and his puppy Lily I simply don’t think the void will ever be filled without him dropping them off for daycare every day or the many pictures and messages of them we have exchanged over the last few years. I truly have never met a more kind soul inside and out. Averett and Hollywood are forever missing a huge piece of us.”

A memorial was held on March 18th on the student lawn where the campus joined together to grieve the loss. Colleagues, students, and friends joined together to share their memories and light candles in honor of Dr. Hanbury. During his statement at the memorial, Dr. David Rosenberg, the head of Averett University’s psychology department, mentioned that hiring Dr. Hanbury was the best decision he ever made.

“I thank him. I thank him for being what students needed,” said Dr. Tiffany Franks. “He was what they needed him to be. I’m thankful for the way he enlightened a classroom in such a way that even caused some students to change their major.” “He pushed students to be more than they ever expected they could be,” continued Dr. Franks. “He was everything they needed him to be.”

Dr. Hanbury will be dearly missed by Averett University, but it is clear that he has left his mark. His memory will live on through his students and the faculty and staff at Averett, ensuring that his legacy is never forgotten.