The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Men’s Volleyball Lays The Foundation in First Year, Looks to Build Into 2025

The inaugural season of Averett’s Men’s Volleyball was full of historical events, like the first home game against Warren Wilson College in a packed Grant Center, as well as learning experiences and growing pains. Head Coach Olivia Earls was impressed with her team’s effort all season long. 

“I am proud of the effort our guys showed this season, with many of our players learning the sport for the first time, and then having veteran players in the game coming in and trying to lead with their skills as freshman and sophomores,” Earls said. “The guys showed up with 100% [effort] at all times. Some of the brightest moments we hit this year were finding our groove, confidence, and overall understanding of the sport for our newer players.”

With it being the first season, players had to learn more about themselves and grow with the team. Jordan Tyler, a sophomore majoring in business, feels like he learned more about himself.

“I feel like I’ve learned a lot on how to be more of an open teammate when on the court this year,” Tyler said. “I feel like this season was a stepping stone for years to come.” 

Although the Cougars did not see the wins they wanted this season, the coaching staff believes it was a decent start to building the foundation for years to come. 

“In order to get where we want to be as a program, we have to continue to trust the process and focus on our foundation and culture,” Earls said. “We can’t start working on the exterior of the house until the foundation is complete, and that is where our focus is currently. We want to make sure the guys are confident in what we are doing, why we do it, and what our mission is.”

The focus now shifts towards the off-season; the team will see a group of new faces and new opportunities next spring.  

“I am most excited about watching the team grow both in their confidence but also in numbers,” Earls said. “We have some exciting additions coming in the fall to the team, and I think their energy and styles of play are going to [be] fundamental to our success in the coming years.”

Following a 3-0 loss to Randolph Macon in their home finale, the crowd gave the Cougars a standing ovation for their effort throughout the season. 

“The guys and my staff are grateful for the support, encouragement, and just overall energy that the Averett community and student body have shown to the program,” Earls said. “From the electricity we felt in our first home match vs. Warren Wilson, to the support here being seen on Day of Giving, Averett has made it clear that they are excited about the addition of Men’s Volleyball to the University, and we hope to see that continue into year two.”

Averett, 0-16 at the time of publication, will finish their last game of the season on March 26th at 6 PM vs. Roanoke College.