The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Averett Athletics Continues To Expand With Men’s Volleyball

Aaron Haley

On February 1, 2023, Averett University announced that it will be adding a Men’s Volleyball team, making it the 25th sport offered at Averett. Men’s Volleyball is now playing in their 2024 season. The team is very excited at the opportunity to be playing in Averett’s first ever season of Men’s Volleyball.

“It’s an honor to be a part of the first ever team,” member of the team Jordan Tyler said, “…it’s a blessing to play for a first year program and make history.”

Being on a team that is a first year program is not easy. It comes with its own set challenges that may seem completely new. The team is working hard to trail blaze this season for the program and are constantly improving. The guys have come a long way and look forward to spending the upcoming off-season getting even better as a team.

“We have made a lot of development from where we started but we have a lot more room to grow,” freshman team member Dominick Jenkins said, “I want to focus on my overall game and development as a player to be more impactful on the court.”

This new program goes to show that Averett athletics is constantly growing and improving. Averett has done a great job of making many efforts to be inclusive to everyone so that no matter who walks onto campus, there is a place for them. More and more students are being given the opportunities to compete at Averett as student-athletes. Students and fellow Averett student athletes have taken notice of these efforts and have noticed its positive impact.

“It’s exciting to see the university that I’m a part of making a big effort to expand the athletic department and open up the possibilities for more people to become student athletes and compete at Averett,” Matthew Clark, student-athlete on the Men’s Lacrosse team, said.