The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Women’s Golf Tees Off “Fore!” The Spring

The grass is getting greener each day, and that means it is almost time for Averett’s Women’s Golf team to hit the course. The team has not had a tournament since November 6th of last year. That will change on March 4th, and the expectations for the spring season are all about improvement. 

“Our expectations are to finish at a higher ranking than we did in the fall as well as in conference compared to last season,” Sophia Marshall, a sophomore majoring in marketing management and sports communications, said. “Another goal is to get lower and lower team scores every time we go out on the course. And as always, to get lower scores each time, or at least be consistent.”

With expectations high and new teammates joining the team, it creates excitement. Hannah Walton, a sophomore majoring in history, is eager to build chemistry. 

“With new teammates this semester, we hope to grow closer as a team,” Walton said. “As well as build individual goals that we hope to accomplish and lower our scores as the semester goes on.”

Adversity strikes in all sports, even golf. The Cougars are poised to handle the ups and downs of the sport.

“I think that we need to work as a team more this season. Yes, we are an individual sport, but all of our scores count, and we need to keep that in mind going into this season,” Marshall said. “I think overall, we all need to start getting better at getting out of a funk when we are playing. Sometimes we, including myself, get into some trouble on the course and need to be able to recover quicker.”

This team prides itself on diversity in all aspects of the sport. Some of the players believe that it will help them as they head into the spring. 

“We have a lot of diversity on the team in various aspects. We are diverse in not only nationality and culture, but also in skill,” Marshall said. “I think this allows us to learn from one another, which not only helps the team but also ourselves in solidifying what we already know.”