The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

New Changes to Juts

Jut’s and North Market reopen with price hikes and added security measures

Jut’s and North Market welcomed back students this month after closing in January due to ongoing shoplifting. Students were informed on Jan.15th through the Cougar Connection email that Jut’s and North Market will unfortunately be closed until further notice. Averett Home Food Company said they were disappointed to have to do this, but working to find a solution, at which point they would consider reopening.

The Averett community was excited to see both markets reopen, but they were not happy to see that prices had increased. Some students are complaining that everything from Poptarts, bandages, to water went up. Candy bars cost $3.19.

Landon Neal, a sophomore at Averett University said,  “It’s sad to see the prices increase so much, Jut’s was never cheap, but these prices are so high I’d rather walk to the Food Lion down the street!”

In addition to the price increase, Jut’s and North Market have increased security. A new security feature is the newly installed camera system that zooms in on your face when you enter either of the markets. This makes it easier to identify any person/persons who decide to shoplift. In addition to the cameras, a new metal gate was installed, which gets locked when the markets are closed.

On a positive note, some prices stayed the same and the selection of sports drinks increased. If you would like to check it out for yourself Jut’s and the North Market are open, Monday-Thursday 7:30am-10pm, Friday-Saturday 7:30 am-Midnight and Sunday 8:30am-10pm.