The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

After Averett. What’s Next fro Irenia Torre

A time comes for every student when they have to decide what they want to do after college. Making decisions that shape the rest of your life can be difficult, especially for student athletes. It’s a time of opportunity, but sometimes it can be difficult to leave your alma mater behind. For athletes competing in spring sports the feeling is no different. One of these athletes is Senior Irenia Torre of Averett women’s lacrosse.

“It’s definitely a different feeling than from previous seasons,” Torre said. “The best way I can explain it is that I’m playing more with my heart and paying closer attention to team performance. I want to leave a mark on this program whether it’s on or off the field.”

Torre is a sports medicine major from Clermont, Florida and has already been accepted into a program to get her masters degree after graduation. She has worked as an athletic training intern with Averett’s staff since the fall season in 2022 and is ready to take the next steps to become an athletic trainer herself.

“I will be attending Old Dominion University to pursue my masters degree in athletic training,” Torre continued. “I am looking forward to graduating because Averett has prepared me for this new journey.”

Although she is moving on to bigger things, Torre will always hold a special place for Averett University in her heart.

“What I will miss most about being a student athlete at Averett would have to be the opportunities I’ve been given. Like being apart of SSAAC, which is our student athlete advisory committee, as well as supporting my friends by watching their games, and the overall environment of being on a team,” Torre said. “Averett has also given me the opportunity to not only be an athlete, but also be involved in the things I’m passionate about.”

Torre is graduating from Averett University in the spring of 2024, but has surely left her mark here. We are all wishing her the best for her future career as an athletic trainer.