The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Senior Spotlight: Jihnez Hutchinson

The 2024 spring semester at Averett University is fastly approaching its end for all the students here at Averett. All of the graduating seniors have been working diligently and preparing for the next steps in their lives once they walk across the stage at graduation. Averett University has made it their mission to make sure that all of their students are more than well prepared for when they leave Averett whether it’s finding jobs, building resumes, applying for graduate school, and so much more. Averett provides a lot of opportunities for their students to be able to network and connect with many people which can be very beneficial to all students.  

Jihnez Hutchinson, a double major in sports medicine and coaching, has been using her time here wisely to the utmost of her ability to make sure that she is well-prepared for whatever her future has to offer her.

“My plans for after graduation are to become a women’s basketball graduate assistant at a university that will help prepare me for my future endeavors of becoming a college basketball head coach,” Hutchinson said.

Averett provides all of the necessary resources to help point their students in the right direction as they spend their four years of college pursuing their goals. The professors here use their vast amount of knowledge to help their students to be able to connect with people that will help them succeed.

“Averett has prepared me by providing me with staff members that can help point me in the right direction by telling me about their journeys and providing me with the resources I can use to help my future be successful,” Hutchinson said. “Holding events like resume workshops to make my resume more appealing to jobs I plan on applying to has helped me the most.”

Averett provides many opportunities for students to go out and get the chance to help them network with different people who will help students pursue whatever career path they choose. 

“Averett granted me the opportunity to apply for the D3 Student Immersion program, I thankfully was accepted and able to attend the convention in Phoenix, Arizona where I got to meet different athletic directors from different D3 schools,” Hutchinson said. “I was able to work on my communication skills by speaking to people I have never met before. It also allowed me to get my name out there and develop networking connections.”

It can be challenging when you are coming to college not knowing what to expect next or not having all the answers. Students, professors, faculty, and staff members are willing to help you be the best version of yourself and get the most out of your education while attending Averett.

“Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone,” Hutchinson said. “I am a very introverted individual but Averett helped me step out of my shell and also showed me the importance of communicating with the individuals around you and how those interactions could help you in the future.”