The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Hone Your Storytelling Skills with the Writer’s Guild

Introducing Averett’s Creative Writing Club
Getty Images/iStockphoto

Writers at Averett can now join the newest club on campus. Co-founders Kallie Keith and Aubrey Hendrickson Stanley have created a space for writers to share their work and collaborate with their like-minded peers. The Writer’s Guild meets on Sundays at 5:00.

Co-founders of the Writer’s Guild: Aubrey Hendrickson Stanley (left) and Kallie Keith (right)

“As students, we read from authors all the time, but hearing your peers speak about their writing styles and showcasing their skills is such an enlightening experience,” Keith, a junior majoring in psychology, said. “In a sense, the Writer’s Guild allows us to grow together and become the next generation of writers in our world.”

Keith believes that writing can be therapeutic for students and that the club can be a place of literary expression.

“It allows students to be seen, heard, and applauded for their preferred form of artistic expression,” Keith said. “It’s a collective of like-minded individuals interested in creativity and contributing to the literary arts on Averett’s campus. Our club also has a great appeal to incoming freshmen; the Writer’s Guild is a safe haven for all types of writers, and we cannot wait to hear from every talented Averett student that has joined or will join our Guild in the future.”

Though the club has just started, both founders have big plans for the future. There will be activities for people of all social levels.

“It’s mostly going to be casual,” Hendrickson Stanley, a freshman majoring in biology, said. “Any long-term goals I have would be us hosting a couple of events to bring people together with a creative side.”

Hendrickson Stanley hopes to host events at the Dog-Eared Page, a local bookstore. The club plans to host writing and editing sessions there with the possibility of arranging poetry readings as well.

Many students who have joined the club have already found the experience beneficial.

“I’m less distracted in a group of people, oddly enough,” Aiden Lawrence, a freshman majoring in clinical and counseling psychology, said. “Being in a community that I can share ideas with or bounce ideas off of and interact with while I’m writing is definitely a highlight.”

Members of the Writer’s Guild taking part in a writing session

Both founders encourage students to follow the Writer’s Guild’s Instagram, which is averettcreativewritingclub. Students will be able to monitor any room changes that may need to be made or differing meeting times. Meetings are open-ended, with many students sharing their projects and getting feedback on their writing. Interested students are encouraged to show up to any meetings to experience the creative process.

Any questions should be directed to [email protected].