The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Student Mental Health: Struggles and Solutions at Averett

With spring break right around the corner, Averett’s students are taking on larger workloads all while trying to keep up with practices and extracurricular activities. The stress of so much on a student’s plate can lead to a strain on their mental health. 

“Being busy can stress me out easily. Time management can be hard especially in your first few weeks of a new semester and your first few years in general,” Hannah Walton said. Walton is a sophomore who is majoring in history. “Having a large workload in the weeks I’m busy with practice is the most stressful.”

Commuter students with jobs outside of class can sometimes be faced with more stress trying to juggle so many things at once. 

“Being a student with homework while also working 30+ hours a week is super stressful,” Stephanie Escobedo said. Escobedo is a senior who is majoring in marketing management. 

Students at Averett also know how important their mental health is to their academic success. 

“Mental health is important as I play a mental sport. Being in the right headspace on the course and at home is important for performance in the classroom and on the course,” Walton said.

Students know that mental health also affects more than just their mind.

“Mental health is very important because I believe mental health determines how your physical health will be,” Ryan Meadows said. Meadows is a freshman who is majoring in business administration and accounting. 

Averett students try to find ways to treat the stress caused by their personal and academic lives. 

“I try to rest when possible and talk to my people. They usually help ease my stress.” Escobedo said. 

Time management is also important for college students when trying to handle stress. 

“Setting time aside to write down what needs to be done and when is one way I manage my stress. Having my friends around to keep me in a good headspace is important too,” Walton says.

Students have their own ways for coping with the stress they experience as well. 

“I go on drives, listen to music, or go to the golf course,” Meadows says. 

Some students have found that they are more stressed out when they try to take on more extracurricular activities outside of class and sports, but it can have a bright side. 

“Extracurricular activities contribute more to my stress. Having a job, working on and off campus, and playing golf can be a lot sometimes,’ Walton said. “Being around my teammates on the course can help me to zone out and just have a fun time and forget about what’s going on in the outside world.”

Other students think that staying involved actually helps get away from the stress they face as students. 

“Being involved in activities does help reduce stress. If you’re doing something enjoyable your mind is usually focused on that and reaching that certain goal. It will usually take my mind off things,” Escobedo said.