The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

AU sports team up with food services to elevate offerings!

Trying to form a new collaboration with Averett University’s student athletes, food services hosted a meeting at North Campus on Friday, January 12th with all the sports teams to discuss  what they could do to enhance their offerings to help the athletes reach their peak performance.

Executive Chef John Willard asked the athletes what they would like to see in the cafeteria that’s currently missing from the menu. Jesse Alvarado, a junior, from Chesapeake, VA suggested a smoothie machine.

“When we’re trying to make weight for a tournament, it’s hard to get food on campus, because most of what is being offered is too heavy or fried. Smoothies would be a great choice. It would also save us from having to go off campus and spend money to get one.”  Some other students suggested custom meals for vegetarians, vegans and gluten free offerings.

Willard also wanted to know if there were any problems with what’s currently offered. Many of the football players spoke up and said the portion sizes needed to be bigger.

“We need a lot of energy for our games and most of the time the portions are way too small to fuel us. We’re big guys.” Dallas Cash, sophomore offensive lineman from Bealeton, said.

Almost the entire team agreed with Cash and said they need a lot of calories and food.

“ I swear the portion sizes are 50% smaller than in years past. When I asked for another scoop of rice the worker looked at me like I was crazy.” stated Jamar Christian, senior wrestler from New Kent, said.

Willard did inform everyone that there are items in the cafeteria that’s not on the menu, but you could still get.

“Not a lot of people know this, but if you don’t see anything you like you could ask one of the staff to make you something. For example, if we don’t have bacon out just ask for it,” Willard said.

It appears there’s still some things the cafeteria has to iron out, but on a positive note Chef Willard is trying some new things. Just this week there was a macaroni bar and definitely more food choices than usual!