The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Get Involved with Averett’s Office of Spiritual Life

Averett+University+Chaplain+and+Director+of+the+Office+of+Spiritual+Life%2C+Sean+Timmons.+
Cliresa Hall
Averett University Chaplain and Director of the Office of Spiritual Life, Sean Timmons.
Averett’s Spiritual Life Center is located in the Student Center.

Looking for an inclusive on-campus club that combines interactive student-led projects with spirituality, Averett’s Office of Spiritual Life may be a start.

Now directed by University Chaplain, Sean Timmons, who recently joined the Averett community in October of 2023, the Office of Spiritual Life provides a variety of clubs and activities for all students.

Some of these activities include the Campus Worship program, the Creative Faith program, and Campus Bible study. Campus Worship is held on 1st and 2nd Thursdays at 11:15 a.m. in Blount Chapel. The Creative Faith program is held on 2nd and 4th Thursdays at 11:15 a.m. in Blount Chapel. Campus Bible Study is held every Sunday at 7:30 p.m. as well as on Thursdays, and Fridays at 6:30 p.m. on the fourth floor of the Student Center. These programs allow students to tap into their creative talents and leadership skills.

Even though the Spiritual Life Office focuses on spirituality on campus, a large aspect of this program surrounds helping students get actively involved within the community.

“We offer a lot on campus,” Timmons said. “But because of our partnerships with folks in the community, we also offer a lot of ways to connect with local groups. I think it’s very important for students to have local connections, not just on-campus. If students are ever looking for any type of spiritual counseling, guidance, or a way to get plugged into the community come talk to me or check out our spiritual life website.”

Connections that Averett’s Spiritual Life Office has within the community include Danville’s First Baptist Church, the Episcopal Church of the Epiphany, the First Presbyterian Church, and more.

Additionally, while Averett University is a historically Christian college, the Spiritual Life Office seeks to celebrate and create space for anyone interested regardless of religious background.

“Averett is historically Baptist and Christian,” Timmons said. “So obviously that’s kind of the centerfold, but we really pride ourselves on having a diverse student body. We should have a diverse spiritual life program to reflect that. We’re constantly looking for ways to expand the opportunities we have for anyone of any faith regardless of any faith background or religious background.”

Ultimately, this program seeks to connect students and allow them to use their skills to produce positive change.

“I think the goal of this program is very much connected to Averett’s goal as a whole. Which is, we are trying to form well-rounded holistic students that have a wide range of educational activities to take with them once they graduate,” Timmons said. “Part of that is the diversified program where students regardless of their background, can explore and be curious in their faith. I suppose that’s part of it, giving them that exposure, giving them those experiences. Another part of it is allowing students to have some ownership over what happens here. Because when students are allowed to take the lead, they are allowed to explore as well as develop their leadership skills.”

To learn more about this program visit: Spiritual Life (averett.edu)