The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

20th Annual Food Drive Event – How You CAN Help

This year, Averett will be participating in their 20th annual Cans Across the Conference event, once again looking to continue their efforts in helping their local community. There are many ways student-athletes can get involved on campus. Ariyanna Mason, Coordinator of Events, Operations, and Student-Athlete Developments has been spreading the news to help the Cougars hit their goal. 

Many student-athletes want to participate to help win the competition but need to familiarize themselves with what exactly the food drive is all about. 

“CANS Across the Conference is a conference-wide food drive initiative held annually as a community service competition among all institutions in the ODAC,” Mason said. “The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee on each campus participates in a friendly competition to see who can collect the most non-perishable food items to benefit their local community.”

Expectations are high this year for the Cougars as they look to hit their goal of canned food items and make an impact on their local community. 

“Collection numbers are based on the total number of food items collected and the SAAC group that collects the most non-perishable items will be the winner,” Mason said. “This year, Averett University SAAC has a goal of collecting over 10,000 items to help benefit God’s Storehouse in Danville as we head into the Thanksgiving holiday.”

There are a few different ways to help the community and possibly help win the competition on main campus. 

“For students that want to get involved there are boxes located around main campus (Student Success and Cougar Den) where items can be dropped-off.”