The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Cougars Roll Out the Mats

The wrestling team is gearing up for their second season in the ODAC. Coming off an 18-10 team record on the season, the Cougars found themselves in 2nd place in the conference. While sending three of their wrestlers to the Division III National Tournament last March. The team is led by coach Blake Roulo who is entering his 4th season as head coach and is looking to improve their solid season last year.

We have high expectations for the team we’re expecting to send 7 to 6 guys to the National tournament,” Jesse Alvarado, junior wrestler on the team, said. “This year my expectations for the year are to compete for a national title and achieve All-American honors.”

The team has 5 different tournaments against top established programs this upcoming season. The tournaments provide the Cougars the opportunity to get as many matches in as possible to practice their skills.

“As a staff and as a team we really look forward to wrestling the high-level competition,” Sam Braswell, an assistant coach and former all-American at Averett said. “We always finish between top 15 and top 25. Wrestling better competition each season will prepare our guys for the end of the season.”

The team has been preparing for the upcoming season all fall. The team has conditioning and open mat time for the wrestles to continue to get better.

“The whole practice schedule is to help us get ready for better competition,” Tommy Baldwin, junior wrestler on the team, said. “Our coaches do a great job preparing us for any match. As well as give us better technique.

The Cougars kick off their season November 1st at Southern Virginia University. A matchup where the Cougars find themselves 5-1 over the history. The Cougars will travel to wrestle Lycoming College and James Madison over the weekend.