The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Exciting Events for Homecoming Week

SONY+DSC
SONY DSC

At Averett University students, faculty, and staff are finding exciting ways to enjoy this year’s Homecoming week with different activities and events. Homecoming week for Averett started October 9th and it will last till October 14th. Here at Averett, these events allow everyone to engage with each other rather than just being in the classrooms. Averett University Office of Student Involvement and other organizations have also taken an interest in how they can get everyone on campus involved throughout the week. The Office of Student Involvement always tries to focus on listening to student’s feedback to see what students want to see more of on campus. By collecting information from student feedback this will help Averett University provide more exciting and engaging ways for everyone. 

Kameron Morris is the Assistant Director of Student Involvement here at Averett and she provided a lot of insight as to what students, faculty, and staff can look forward to during homecoming week.

“We do have a lot of fun-packed events and activities for students, faculty, and staff to participate in,” Morris said. “We have spirit week where everyone on campus dresses a certain theme for each day such as Jersey Day, Twin Day, Year 2000’s Day, Country vs Country Club Day, and Blue & Gold Day.”

These activities allow students, faculty, and staff to engage with each other by allowing everyone on campus to express themselves by dressing up according to the themes corresponding to the day. Averett also has a lot of other live festivities that are planned to give everyone a chance to have fun and have something to look forward to as well.

“We will have a block party, petting zoo, roller skating, comedy show, and the soccer game,” Morris said. “We also plan to announce who will be the winners for homecoming court from freshmen, sophomore, junior, and senior class.” 

Through listening to student feedback the Office of Student Involvement was able to learn what the students on campus would like to see more of compared to last year’s homecoming events. By receiving data from the students on campus by doing polls the Office of Student Involvement can learn more about what students want to see.

“It is important that we listen to the students more because Averett is going to be your home for the next four years so we really want to provide the students with the best experience possible,” Morris said. “ We want to make sure that our students’ voices matter and see what our students want to see on campus so we can implement it during homecoming week.”

Averett University also has athletic events that people can attend during homecoming week that everyone can get involved in. Homecoming week also allows students, staff, and faculty to show support and competitive spirit for Averett’s student-athletes. 

“The men’s soccer game will be on October 13th and the men’s football game is on October 14th,” Morris said. “We are pushing that so everyone is coming to the soccer and football games because we want to make sure that athletics is being supported all around.” 

Averett University has put a lot of effort and thought into putting together homecoming events for everyone on campus so they can enjoy themselves. Having these events gives everyone a chance to participate and have something to look forward to. These events allow students to be able to enjoy their next four years at Averett.