The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Legacy and the many different meanings at Averett

Averett’s Alumni Hall provides many great opportunities for students no matter what class year. One of the key factors of the alumni program is the concept of “legacy” students. These are students who have had a member of their family attend Averett in any way shape or form.

“Averett is very proud to have legacy students,” Joel Nester, director of alumni and constituent relations, said. “I know our alumni are proud of their Alma Mater when they want their children to get the same quality education they received.”

Nester and his staff work with admissions to recruit legacy students.

“The Alumni Office works closely with the Admissions Office to identify alumni that have children ready to attend college,” Nester said. “We share information and work together on helping the legacy student enroll.”

This year Averett football is has a legacy student on the roster who is already making an impact on the field, like their family before them.

“I am extremely excited to go to the same college as my father,” Trevor Testerman, a freshman football and baseball player, said. “Knowing my father laid the foundation for the football program and started the culture that we embody today is truly inspiring.”

After transferring from Newberry College, Testerman found the opportunity to make his mark at Averett.

“The appeal about Averett after transferring was knowing that I would get the opportunity not only to continue my education in pre-med but also to play football and baseball,” Testerman said. “The fact that I get to play both at the college level is something that motivates me every day.”

There is a lot left in store for the Testerman family legacy at Averett.

“This place already feels like home for me,” Testerman said. “Plus having my sister Ally attend college with me is definitely exciting.”

The staff in Alumni Hall make stories like Trevor’s possible, doing all they can to get legacy students to come to the university.