The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Football, Food Trucks, and Family Day

Saturdays at Averett are known to be one of the best days of the week. Tailgating and football sweep over North Campus as families and students gather as one. 

Football won’t be the only fun that takes place at North Campus on September 30th. Along with the football game, there will also be a food truck rodeo kicking off at 2 P.M. and family day. 

Family day allows families of students to see the university from a different perspective. This includes a meet and greet with Dr. Tiffany Franks, university president, tours of the multiple campuses around Danville, and a full tailgating experience. 

On the football field, Ashley Thornton, assistant director of athletics communications, is predicting a close and exciting game between the Cougars and the Generals. 

“The last time Averett beat Washington and Lee was in 2014 when they won 20-17,” Thornton said. “That was also the first and only time they have played in Danville.” 

Averett football is currently 3-0 in the conference, having beat the Apprentice School, Brevard College, and Greensboro College. 

“I think our defense has really held strong in our first three games,” Thornton said. “In our first two games, the cougars only allowed zero points in the second half, which was key for those wins, especially against Apprentice.” 

Vincent Nguyen, a senior majoring in criminal justice and an offensive lineman on the football team, is feeling good about the face off. 

“Playing in Danville is always a good time,” Nguyen said. “On the defensive side of the game, I think we have to stop their triple option and be ready for a deep shot whenever it comes.”

Nguyen has been on the O-Line for three years, appearing in 12 games before this season.

“On the O-Line, it starts with us being able to run the ball,” Nguyen said. “If we can accomplish everything we need both defensively and offensively, I know that we can come out with a win.”

Averett football is set to host Washington and Lee University on September 30, 2023 at 5 P.M.