The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Where is the Grub? Restaurants around the ‘Ville

As we are still trying to work the fall semester’s kinks, you can sometimes become pretty hungry. The city of Danville has a lot to offer when it comes to good food. With a great number of different restaurant options that offer food for all. From simple burgers and fries to good homemade soul food, all kinds of choices are available. It all leads to the big question… “Where is the Grub?”

1. Ms. Tina’s

Interior of the Restaurant Ms. Tina’s (Credit to Ms. Tina’s Soul Food Facebook)

Being first opened in 2021, it is fairly new and has brought a major impact to the community. Ms. Tina’s is located on 665 W Main Street and is very close to Averett’s campus. Strong recommendations have been made around campus, providing some of the best soul food in town.

There are a great number of options for you to choose from, they also give decent portions that leave you nice and full. One of the most recommended items that they have is their signature “Honey Bun Cake”, that melts in your mouth with such great flavor. 

“I have been hooked ever since my first bite,” Maleek Pulliam, a former student at Averett University said. “They got this Honey Bun cake that is really going to put you at ease.” Pulliam said. 

2. Kickback Jack’s

Outside of Kickback Jack’s (Credit to Virginia.org)

Do you love watching sporting events while eating a great meal? Students often recommend Kickback Jack’s because it is not as pricey as other restaurants, and they have a casual atmosphere that is welcoming to all. Kickback Jack’s also offers student discounts for Averett students. Kickback Jack’s is located near Averett’s North Campus, at 140 Crown Drive.

Kickback Jack’s brings a good energy towards your meal, with over 50 Tv’s that present sporting events from the NFL to PGA. They also have areas where you can play a game of cornhole while relaxing with your friends. 

Not only do the students love to go there, Faculty and staff at Averett also like to enjoy a meal at Kickback Jack’s. “Just about anybody can find something they want to eat here. Chicken, fish, salads, ribs, and many different appetizers,” Patrick Henry, Head football coach at Averett University said. 

3. 716 Wings

Outdoor Area of 716 Wings (Credit to 716 Wings Facebook)

The last recommendation is 716 wings. Although their primary is of course, wings, they also have options for sandwiches and pizzas as well. Offering some of the best wings in town, they bring in a taste of New York wings as well as a smooth atmosphere for the entire family.

“I absolutely love their wings,” Sa’Quan Harrison, a senior at Averett University said. “I have never had wings from there that I didn’t like.”  

Along with the good food, there is a good atmosphere in the restaurant. There are tables both inside and outside, along with great music and free Wi-Fi that is available. 716 wings is located at 1055 Piney Forest Rd. Although these are not all of the options around the city of Danville, these are a few places that can help get you started in exploring this city and its restaurants. There are all kinds of food options that you can choose from, along with an atmosphere that can create long-lasting memories. Finding food in college can seem like a bit of a hassle, so these options are here for whenever you are looking for something different to eat.