Behind the Scenes: Upcoming Spring Events on Campus

Zoe Winnes, Staff Writer

Every spring, Nate Lake and his team go above and beyond to hold fun and creative events for students on campus. Lake has been the Assistant Director of Student Involvement for almost two years. 

“My absolute favorite part is the students,” Lake said. “They always keep me going and I love to see how I can positively affect the students’ growth here at Averett.”

The Cougar Activity Board (C.A.B.) works with Student Involvement to plan and implement activities on campus. 

“C.A.B. has done a wonderful job planning events for the 2023 spring semester,” Lake said. “Spring Fling is one big week of events and it’s something that we think will be great.”

During Spring Fling there is a planned event for each day of the week. Some of these events will include aux-cord wars, lip-sync battles, ice cream socials, and a skate night located in Carrington Gym on Main Campus. The week-long event will take place from March 13th to March 18th. 

Student Involvement and the C.A.B. are always open to suggestions for potential events. 

“We always take suggestions from students and encourage students to speak up,” Lake said. “This is something Casey and myself plan to make known throughout the campus, because we want to know what the students want.” 

Students who want to express their ideas or be a part of event planning can contact a member of the C.A.B. or Nate Lake.

Students can find Lake’s office on the fourth floor of the café in room 413. 

“If any students have any interest in event planning or just understanding the behind the scenes management, my team and I would love to show them how we do things in Student Involvement,” Lake said. 

To stay up to date with upcoming events, students should follow the Averett Student Involvement’s Instagram page @averettstudentengagement and Cougar Connection, Averett’s weekly newsletter sent via email.