The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of the Cafe

Aaron Haley, sophomore, and Jonathan Bishop, senior, have lunch in the cafe.

Jahna Waters, Editor

The cafe is always a hot topic on campus. Averett students reflect on the good, the bad, and the ugly selections the cafe has to offer.

The cafe has a variety of options and try to meet the expectations of every student.

“I think the cafe has pretty decent food. I enjoy their spinach salads and their occasional onion rings. For a small college, I think we are given plenty of options for our meals in a cafe,” Zoe Winnes, sophomore, said.

Even with the range of options, some students don’t always enjoy some of the main courses the cafe has to offer.

“My favorite foods the cafe offers are mac and cheese, chicken tenders, fries, and onion rings,” Andrew Olverson, sophomore, said. “I don’t always like the meat the cafe offers because sometimes it’s not done all the way.”

Students also find frustration with faulty appliances in the cafe.

“I really like getting ice cream in the cafe, so it’s disappointing when the machine doesn’t always work,” Aaron Haley, freshman, said.

There has been a recent change in the hours of the cafe. Last semester, the cafe was open until 9:00 p.m. At the beginning of this semester, the cafe’s hours were pushed back to 8:00 p.m. now, causing frustration in a lot of students, specifically student-athletes.

“As an athlete, the loss of this hour makes a huge difference. There are some teams that don’t get out until 7:30 p.m., making it difficult for those students to make it in time since they are coming from North Campus,” Ethan Stephens, a sophomore baseball player, said. “If anything, the time change is more of a time restraint for a lot of athletes.”

The cafe is adding new features for students such as themed days in the near future. Keep an eye out for the new selections to enjoy in the cafe.