Averett University Greek Life Thinks Pink in October

Kelly King, Editor

Everyone knows that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, but how can you participate in spreading awareness? Both Greek life organizations at Averett University are working alongside university officials to hold multiple events that not only offer information and resources related to breast cancer, but opportunities to donate to the National Breast Cancer Foundation.

Both Greek life organizations, Kappa Delta Alpha and Pi Kappa Zeta, have held donation events this year where students can throw or eat cupcakes at the members. These events raised over $300 last year and are expected to raise almost double the amount this year. 

“Hosting a donation event related to breast cancer hits home for me because my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer last year,” Megan Saunders, Kappa Delta Alpha and Averett University alumni, said. “Giving students the opportunity to interact and have fun  with their peers while also donating to a cause that could one day help my mother and millions behind her is a win in my book.”

Kappa Delta Alpha members have coordinated events every October since 2014 to spread awareness and help accumulate donations as an annual philanthropy event. 

“We decided to choose the National Breast Cancer Foundation as our philanthropy initiative because of the massive impact it has on women and men alike,” Dana Elwanger, co-founder of Kappa Delta Alpha, said. “The main goal of KDA is to bond young women together so that they can rely on one another during any crisis. The likelihood of one of our sisters having an experience with breast cancer is high, so we wanted to pick a foundation that everyone can support without a second thought.”

If you would like to learn more about how breast cancer can affect you or your loved one’s please visit https://www.nationalbreastcancer.org to learn more. For more information about events happening on campus, make sure to read your Cougar Connection emails every Monday.