Bonner Continues Community Service Learning

Bonner Leaders Morgann Dills and Cheyenne Espinosa do one of many events Bonners do on campus: tabling to give students the opportunity to vote on Constitution Day.

Bonner Leaders Morgann Dills and Cheyenne Espinosa do one of many events Bonner’s do on campus: tabling to give students the opportunity to vote on Constitution Day.

Delaney Sullivan, Staff Writer

The National Bonner Leader Program at Averett University is a program that is designed to involve students in service within the Danville community. Students in the program have the opportunity to work with 17 community partners including schools and nonprofit organizations like the UVA Cancer Center, and the Danville Life Saving Crew. 

These partners provide students with hands-on learning experiences and opportunities that provide them with valuable experience such as leading research projects, marketing events, tutoring and teaching elementary school students, and much more. The interactive service learning has taken a turn since the Coronavirus rattled the country.

Director of the Bonner Leader Program and Coordinator of Volunteerism for the CCECC April Love-Loveless has taken numerous precautions to keep her students safe at their learning sites, such as having the sites sign a COVID waiver. This waiver lists the risks that the partners and students face by doing service learning and by signing, the parties agree that they will do their best to remain safe and healthy. 

Rebecca Clifton, a second year Bonner and nursing student, is working with the Danville Life Saving Crew (DLSC). Clifton originally joined Bonner because it gave her the opportunity to be involved with her community and connect with others. At DLSC Clifton says that her experience has changed quite a bit compared to last year. 

“We have to wear personal protective equipment at all times when we’re helping a patient, and then if the patient has COVID potentially there are even more precautions we go through to prevent exposure.” Clifton continued, “It’s definitely been a struggle but isn’t too bad because we’ve adapted well to the changes.” 

Sophomore and first year Bonner, Anna Ewing works with the Danville Church Based Tutorial Program, a group that tutors children from local elementary schools. Majoring in elementary education, Ewing joined the Bonner program because she loves volunteering and helping the community. 

“I love being a part of a close group that loves to help people. Bonner has been really positive so far. I think everythings been put into place to keep us all safe and healthy, and I appreciate that,” Ewing said. “I do wish that we could all meet in person, and I think I would enjoy Bonner more if COVID wasn’t an issue, but there’s nothing we can do about it. I’m loving Averett and all the good we do for the community.” 

Love-Loveless notes that the program hasn’t “missed a beat.”

“We’ve just had to change our perspective and be flexible,” she said. “We’ve gone virtual, but we’re still connected.”

For Love-Loveless the hardest part is not seeing her students all together in person since March. She hopes to see them together soon, socially distanced of course.