Success Center is Teaming Up to Help You Succeed

Erin Schlauch, Director of Students Success Center, smiles as she invite students to visit her office anytime.

JaCorey Burley, Writer

College is like a team sport it has its ups and downs, but when the team works together anything is possible. In order to reach the ultimate goal, which is a diploma, you are going to need some help along the way.

At the beginning of the semester, students set goals for how they want the semester to go. However, plans often change. Students may find themselves battling low grades and all hope seems lost.

No worries, the Student Success Center has hired new staff with initiatives that can help you get your grades where you want them to be.

Kasiem Black, student tutor, is excited about the new staff in success center.

Erin Schlauch, director of the Student Success Center, enters Averett with an important goal in mind. She wants to help students succeed.

Upon Schlauch’s arrival, she knew she needed a goal-oriented team in order to successfully aid each student.

She has assembled an all-star staff which includes: Fredrick Betts (Retention Coordinator), Holly Kilby (Assistant Director), Nia Johnson (Graduate Assistant), and Devenia Thorpe (Americorps Success Coach).

Schlauch confidently addresses her staff goals.

“We all agree we have to provide the best academic support that we can in the most efficient manner,” she said.

Kasiem Black, who has been a tutor at the Student Success Center for three years, believes the staff wants to help students succeed.

“They bring a relationship element to the success center that helps bring out the best in each student,” he said.

The Student Success Center is filled with resources that can help students excel. Schlauch mentioned one of the newer additions to the learning center.

“We’ve added a new case management system for care alert called Advocate,” she said. “Students can reach out to us and receive personal assistance with a specific issue.”

Opportunities and resources are available to all students. They have the chance to excel and become the best version of themselves.

“A great student isn’t defined by his/her grade point average,” Schlauch said. “A great student is one who knows themselves, and know what they need in order to reach their goals.”

If you’re on campus and need assistance don’t hesitate to stop by the Student Success Center. The resources available can brighten your future and help you earn your degree.