The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Introducing Our New ESL Coordinator: Fostering Language Success on Campus

Alicia Barriga and Max Gaudry

Averett University’s diverse atmosphere is always changing, bringing a variety of viewpoints and cultures to our community. As part of our dedication to providing inclusive education and assistance to all students, the university is pleased to present Alicia Barriga as the new ESL Coordinator. 

Barriga has spent her professional life empowering English language learners in academic settings, so she brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to her position. She graduated from Averett University and after working some years in different educational jobs she took the opportunity to start this new adventure in Danville. 

“My job is to work with all these wonderful students from different countries that speak a different language at home than English and help them perfect their English skills,” Barriga said. “I am proud to be their advocate on campus.”

It can be difficult to navigate the academic system in a foreign nation, particularly when learning a new language is involved. Seeking assistance is crucial for many overseas students to get above language challenges and succeed academically. Ms. Barriga provided essential support to Max Gaudry, a soccer player from Paris, France, majoring in business finance accounting.

“Before coming to Ms. Barriga, the English language was just random sounds. After some time of practicing grammar with her, I feel more confident in conversations and my writing has improved a lot,” Gaudry said. “I am thankful that Averett is allowing me to work on my language skills and supports me in my personal development.”

Coming to a new job might be challenging and people need to understand what part Alicia Barriga plays in the workplace. Notifying academics, staff, and students is essential so that individuals know how to connect. 

“I would like new international students at Averett to know that my door is always open if they need anyone to talk to,” Barriga said. “One of my professional goals is to see the students I help successfully graduate from Averett University.” 

Teaching English as a second language is not just about imparting grammar rules and vocabulary; it’s about empowering students to find their voice in a new language, fostering confidence, and inspiring a lifelong love for learning. If students want to find Alicia Barriga they can visit her in her office in Student Success Center.