The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

AU takes on the Superbowl

With the NFL season rounding up means that it is time for the moment people have been waiting for. There are not many occasions when almost the entire US gathers around a TV for hours on end but the Superbowl happens to be one of them. The Superbowl brings many memories, traditions, and of course some predictions. 

“My favorite Superbowl memory came in Superbowl 43 when the Pittsburgh Steelers played the Arizona Cardinals,” Justin Kelly, a junior majoring in history, said. “The moment I remember best is when Santonio Holmes leaped up to make the greatest catch in Super Bowl history. This touchdown catch put the Steelers up and eventually led to them winning the game 27-23. At just 6 years old and not a fan of either team, that was incredible to see.”

Not only are these memories built of the thing that but so do the traditions you develop over the years

“My Superbowl tradition is usually watching the game with my friends. Even if we’re not rooting for one of the two teams, we still have fun and enjoy each other’s company,” Zoe Winnes, a senior majoring in sports communications, said. “We love watching the funny commercials and enjoying the snacks people bring”

Although the Superbowl brings friends and families together, it still does not take away the competitive nature that a football game would bring. Whether it is as serious as betting on the color of the Gatorade in the coolerof the winning team or as simple as a few friends sharing predictions, the Superbowl has it all.  

“In my opinion, I believe that the San Francisco 49ers Will win this year’s Superbowl because of how explosive their offense has been in the playoffs,” Kori Chavis, a sophomore majoring in sports administration, said. “Also the way the defense has clicked on all year and it seems like no one can effectively stand a chance to score against them”

So whether you are a diehard football fan or someone who just enjoys time with their friends and silly commercials, The Superbowl is something that people mark their calendar for every year. This year’s Feb. 11 contest is no exception.