The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Life of Fall Athletes During the Spring Semester

Carlos Solli
The first ever men’s home volleyball game. The support from the fall semester athletes were on display.

With the spring season coming to life, the Averett University Cougars are aiming high on all fronts this semester. However, how is life for fall sport athletes these days? Off-season practice, greater emphasis on academics and taking a supportive role on the stands to cheer on their fellow athletes– all of these parts have become habits for fall semester athletes since the new year.

Being out of season, the fall sports teams schedule looks different than usual.

“During the spring we focus more on strength and conditioning now we don’t have any games,” Oliver Kousholt, junior majoring in sports communication and member of men’s soccer, said. “It gives us time to work on stuff we don’t have time for during the season.”

Despite having more time off during spring semester, the fall sport athletes can’t wait to be back competing.

“I prefer the fall because I like the intensity of the season,” Kousholt said. “The spring semester can be very slow sometimes so therefore I prefer the fall semester.”

Fall athlete’s students have clear priorities.

“I try to stay in shape as much as possible,” Kousholt said. “Other than that, I spent more time studying and concentrating on school since I have more free time.”

Students seems to agree on the academics being prioritized more.

“Going into this semester I was expecting more from myself on the academic front. I was happy with how it went last year”. Myles Archie, freshman majoring in pre-law, and a member of the football team, said. “However, now that there is no competition in the sports aspect, I can spend more time on my academics.”

Compared to the expectations of the spring semester, the students reflect on the semester so far.

“I’ve enjoyed it, and it’s aligned with my expectations so far. I’ve had more time to improve on the academic front, whilst also being more with my friends here,” Archie said. “Last year we built friendships on the field, but now we are building even stronger ones off it.”

Fall athletes have gone from competing to taking a role in the stands.

“I now have the opportunity to go from competing in games to supporting the Cougars from the stands,” Archie said. “Something that I am really excited about.”

Men’s volleyball especially has been popular amongst students.

“From an Averett point of view I love going to spring semester athletic events, such as the men’s volleyball games at north campus,” Kousholt said. “The atmosphere at the first home game of the season was electric.”