The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Teresa Barker, Keeping our Campus Healthy

With a world full of unthinkable diseases and illnesses, it is imperative to understand the facts about how to keep yourself as healthy as possible. Students all around campus have been taking advantage of health services, along with the events that are created every semester. With so much going on in the world of healthcare today, you may ask yourself who takes care of the sick people at Averett?

Teresa Barker, the Director of Health Services, has been a part of the health services department since December 2022. Barker was born in South Boston, Virginia, where she grew a strong passion for nursing and medicine.

Teresa Barker in her office at Averett’s Health Services

Barker attended Averett University, where she received a bachelor of science in accounting, which was her career path that she originally set out to pursue. Having a different career path in her mind, her heart led her to change careers after two tragic losses in her family. 

“I had a brother that passed away at 26 with an unexpected medical condition,” Barker said. “…My mom suffered from breast cancer.. Between the two of those events it decided to push me into the medical field and I decided to change careers.” 

Despite her misfortune, Barker created a positive outcome out of negative experiences and has dedicated her life to helping others and spreading information that can save someone’s life. 

“..Being able to provide education for students through campus activities, Cougar Connection, and actually having a clinic for students to come and ask questions and be seen,” Barker said.

Located next to the Student Success Center, Barker’s health services and she is open to walk-ins as well. 

The front desk area of Averett’s Health Services