The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

New International Students Bring Hopes and Dreams to Campus

Averett University is not just a place known for diversity, athletics, and a variety of degree programs. It is also home to many international students from all over the globe. Every semester a wave of young people from across the globe enrich our student body and bring their stories to the table. Three of the new arrivals are part of the Averett tennis team and are all very excited to finally be here on campus. 

Siddhi Khandelwal, a tennis player, is especially happy to be here. She had a long flight from her home in Jaipur, India. She is still undecided in what to major, but her choice of coming to Averett was clear since the beginning.

“I decided to come to Averett because of the good balance between athletics and academics,” Khandelwal said. “Another factor was the small-town ambience and the close community that feels like a family.”

Also Alex Donnelly, originally from Naas Ireland, traveled to Danville after transferring from a college in Texas.

“I was really convinced with my choice coming to Averett looking at the small number of students and how good Danville is located.” Especially “the supportive athletic community and relationship every professor shares with their students,” Donnelly said.

All the way from Izmir, Turkey is a business administration finance major Dilara Sultanova. 

“My dream was always to study in the United States, because of the opportunities after graduating with a degree and the combination of both academics and athletics,” Sultanova said. “Never would I have expected everyone being so helpful and sincere from the very first second.” 

Sultanova has big goals for her college career. “My dream is to graduate with a high GPA and be proud of my tennis results.”  

As we welcome our new international students to Averett University, let us embrace the opportunity to learn from one another, to celebrate our differences, and to forge connections that transcend borders.

Siddhi Khandelwal and Dilara Sultanova Alex Donelly