The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

IDS Service Projects

Averett’s first years are connecting with the community! Averett 110 is a mandatory class for all students who arrive with fewer than 12 credits. It serves as a foundational class to help students prepare for their time at college while developing skills for academic success, increasing understanding of university culture, and fostering meaningful engagement that supports academic and personal success. Students will learn how to build a resume, financial literacy, time management, and mental health awareness. 

In Averett 110, it is required for classes to complete a service project. Some classes chose to venture off campus to places like God’s Store House or the Danville Humane Society, while others chose to stay on campus. 

“Ours is going to be the revitalization of the commuter’s lounge. We chose this project because we wanted to make Averett our partner, but our original idea fell through, so we decided to partner with another class,” said Victor Hernandez, student success coach and wellness coordinator. Revitalizing the commuter lounge would involve repainting, new furniture, new supplies, and some new decorations.  “We have service projects in this class because Averett is big into selling the idea that we’re connected to the community. We use the IDS classes as an opportunity to make some of those community connections.”

“I think IDS class is fun, and we are learning so much about how to navigate our money, lives, and most importantly our future,” Darius Eubanks, a freshman majoring in sports communication, said. “I feel like redoing the commuter lounge will be helpful. I think commuters will be appreciative of the lounge being redone and it will make them want to give back too.”

Connecting with the community is a big part of Averett’s identity. Having the opportunity to do these service projects in Averett 110 allows each student to give back in whatever way they can. It can, even, help students find places they would like to work with in the future.