The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Relax your mind outside of sports

With the taxing schedule that athletes go through it is key to find ways to relax throughout the day. Going outside and casting fishing rods, riding horses, and cutting hair are all ways athletes destress from their busy schedules. 

Dreylan Martin, a sophomore football player at Averett, likes to spend his time here in Danville practicing his childhood hobbies. 

“I have been fishing since I was 5 years old with my father,” Martin said. “My favorite thing about fishing is the thrill of reeling in the fish while it’s fighting to get away.”

Brianna Rawls, a senior cheerleader, started cutting hair for her family in the tenth grade. This now has turned into one of her favorite things to do with her friends here at Averett. 

“My favorite thing about cutting hair is being able to focus on something and make sure it’s how the person wanted it,” Rawls said.  “I think a good tip when cutting hair is to make sure everything is even. Even if it’s one piece of hair that’s a little longer, go back in and fix it.”

William Caviness, a senior football player, turned a childhood hobby into his college major.

“I started when I was younger (under 10) and actually stopped when my horse moved barns. Then I didn’t ride till I got here at Averett,” Caviness, who is majoring in equine studies, said. “My favorite thing about riding horses is the bond you create with the horse. Each horse is different.” 

Hobbies are one of the most interesting things in the world. It’s cool to see how everyone uses different things to achieve the same goal.