The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Find Your Next Career Opportunity

Meet Dr. Penland
Dr. Jennifer Penland

Averett University is a school that not only helps students get their degree but also helps them set up a career for the future. Over the summer Dr. Jennifer Penland joined the Averett University family to help Averett with this mission.

Penland serves as director of career development & exploration and is the co-coordinator of the new alumni mentorship program. Outside of Averett, she is a member of the Career & Technical Education Advisory Board. Penland believed that both her and Averett shared a mission, which was to guide and help students set up their careers. 

“I selected Averett University as their transformational mission was reflective of my own academic journey and experiences,” Penland said. “Additionally, the supportive leadership which was apparent during the interview process. I truly wanted to work with an evolving and collaborative university.”

Penland herself has quite the career, with a variety of experience all over the country. Prior to her role at Averett, Penland served as a Higher Ed STEM & Research Advisor for an aerospace company in the tri-state region. She also has previous experience at many different educational institutions. For example, in Texas she worked at Texas A&M and Sull Ross State. In Wyoming she worked for Western Wyoming CC and for the State of Wyoming, and now she has been brought all the way to Virginia.     

All these experiences built Penland a great network all over the country, which can now be used to help connect students from Averett to career opportunities. Not only does Penland have a great network in different fields, she herself is also very well educated in different fields. She obtained a postdoc Leadership Certificate from Cornell University; a Doctoral Degree in Educational Leadership from Lamar University; and has both her Master’s and Bachelor’s Degrees in Education & Geology. With all this knowledge and education, Penland also published over 15 articles and book chapters to educate others in a variety of fields.

At the moment, Penland’s work at Averett consists of a variety of things. She provides monthly career development workshops, sponsors the career engagement events, develops internships, manages the Handshake career platform, provides career opportunity presentations to faculty & their classes, co-coordinates alumni mentorships, and locates career positions for Averett and graduate students. Penland, her passion and mission at Averett is helping students set up their future career, and definitely encourages them to reach out to her for help.

“Students can connect with me by stopping at Room 118 in the Student Success Center between 9:00am-4:30pm on Monday to Friday to schedule appointments,” Penland said. “They can also send me an email at [email protected].”

Helping others is second nature to Penland, and her wide variety of experiences make her a great addition to the Averett University family. She looks forward to helping develop and build different programs at Averett and can not wait to see where all the students’ careers will end up in the future. Penland has a lot more inspiring stories to tell and great advice to give. There was one piece of advice she wanted to share already, but for more advice and stories she encourages everyone to come and find her.

“My advice to students: The only way to positively progress as a society and an individual is to reflect, redirect, and re-imagine what you wish to accomplish,” Penland said. “I firmly believe that life demands that we participate and engage in it and expect to be surprised by the outcome. Students need to be willing to reflect and challenge themselves to be better, not perfect, every day.”