The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Disability Awareness at Averett with Holly Kilby

Disabilities are always present whether we realize it or not. Whether an individual’s disability is a physical impairment or neurological condition, it is important we understand and acknowledge the experiences of individuals with disabilities. Averett has done an impeccable job in ensuring that these students get the accommodations they desire through the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).  The ADA is a federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination based on disability. Averett, also, adheres to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which prohibits discrimination in federally funded programs. 

One way Averett has helped these students is through Joy Durham-Carthen, the Director of Student Success, and Holly Kilby, the Assistant Director of Academic Support. Kilby’s responsibilities at Averett include keeping up with student documentation, determining the impact of student’s disabilities, and finding the appropriate accommodations. 

“We have approximately 140 students on file as having a disability; this number reflects both students from the traditional program and from the AU online programs,” said Kilby. “The very act of having students with accommodations promotes accessibility, as this is what their accommodations are meant to do. As well, this generation (Gen Z) tends to be vocal about their needs, which leads to the college population being more aware about differences, which leads to greater inclusion.” 

Kilby further states, “I have always enjoyed working in disability support because my oldest son has significant challenges. I have acted as ‘momma bear’ many times to ensure he has the support he needs while in K12. As well, I wish I had known about accommodations while I was in college.”

It is no secret that asking for help can be scary, but the faculty and staff at Averett are adamant about helping students get the accommodations they need to succeed. The ADA, also, plays an essential role in allowing students to get the help they need through improving accessibility and the ways to get it.