The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Improve Your Mental Health at Averett Counseling

Mental Health awareness is growing around the country. Luckily for Averett students, free counseling services are available for all students. This is a tool that everyone on campus should know about, as the pressure of being a student or student-athlete can be challenging, and there are a lot of questions around campus about what is being offered. 

Earlier this year, Dr. Atticia Bundy was introduced as the new Director of Counseling. She has done a phenomenal job since being on campus to answer student’s questions about the services and what they can provide. 

“Averett University Counseling Services provides individual and group counseling,” Bundy said. “We also provide outreach which includes tabling events (information, resources), presentations on mental health topics, and assist or collaborate with other groups on events.” 

If a student is struggling with mental health, knowing there is help in the Student Success Center is essential. The way to reach out is quick and easy. 

“If a student is struggling with their mental health, they should email [email protected] and schedule an appointment,” Bundy said. “There is some paperwork they need to review and sign, otherwise it’s a pretty simple process. If they just want to see if their issue is something they need to talk to a counselor about, they are welcome to ask any questions before completing the paperwork.” 

Averett Counseling does a terrific job of keeping students’ information confidential. This is another concern many have before seeking help. Some would rather stay silent than reach out because they are worried their friends might find out.

“Counseling is confidential. We don’t share information about students to anyone without their consent,” Bundy said. “There are a few instances where we would have to break confidentiality, but those are rare and include abuse of a child or elder, plan or intent to harm themselves or someone else, or if we were court ordered. Even in those rare cases, we would still communicate with the student first if at all possible.”

Students also can expect to see a new face at Averett Counseling soon with their new intern.

“Anna Hall is our Counseling Intern from Longwood University,” Bundy said. “She is finishing up her master’s degree in clinical Mental Health Counseling and she is available to see students.”

Students at Averett need to find peace in their mental health. You can contact Averett Counseling at [email protected] to schedule an appointment. The counseling services are located in the front entrance of the Student Success Center.