The Student News Site of Averett University

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

The Chanticleer

Students Share Excitement for New Casino

In May of 2023, “Caesars Entertainment” had officially set up shop in Danville, Virginia. In May Caesar’s erected a temporary casino tent in the Schoolfield area of Danville. With the casino came a floor of slot machines, a plethora of table games to choose from, and a miniature sportsbook as well.

The tent that was put up is just a small representation of how Danville is benefiting from the casino. In July alone the site took in about $21 million, generating $1.3 million in tax money for the city.

“I hope that the casino in Danville brings growth to the city as a whole,” Kyle Lamantia, a graduate student, said. “I can only see the housing, businesses, and population will all increase over the next couple of years.”

While the hotel and resort construction is still taking place, the temporary casino has done well with retaining their customers.

“The customer services at the casino are top tier,” Lamantia said. “They are all about making sure you enjoy your experience and have fun while you are there.”

Although gambling can be controversial and produce mixed emotions, many enjoy the entertainment a casino provides.

“There is so much going on in a casino you have to try to not be entertained,” Tyler Wilson, a junior at Averett, said. “The ambiance, people, hospitality, and potential to win make the casino appealing to me.”

The lack of clocks within a casino can provide a sense of never ending.

“I feel like I manage not only my time but my money well when I’m in the casino,” Wilson said. “I usually spend less than three hours there and I have enjoyed the time I spent there.”

When finished in 2024, the hotel resort and casino will be less than 5 miles away from Averett, this may raise concerns for years down the line.

“Overall I think the casino will do more good than bad for Danville and Averett,” Andrew Rabon, a senior resident student, said. “The influx of people to Danville will just ensure that public safety is of key importance over the years.”

The proximity that the hotel resort and casino have to Averett, this may cause changes at the school

“I have a feeling that Averett could become a wet campus in the future,” Rabon said. “With all the new things coming around town it only makes sense for this to be the case soon.”

With the construction of the “Caesars” hotel resort and casino comes the resurrection of Danville, with businesses, people, and opportunity being presented everywhere for years to come.