End of Semester Fun for the Cougars

Calvin Beavers, Staff Writer

This past month Averett’s campus has seen many events to have students more engaged around campus such as the recent karaoke night in the Cougar Den or the comedy show on April 12th. The student involvement team lead by Casey Scarce and Nathanial Lake have been organizing events like these since they were hired in 2021. This week is a busy week for the school because, in addition to the comedy show. There will be a student block party in the common’s apartments parking lot April 15th from 3pm to 7pm

Scarce and Lake have some help with current students around campus to get an understanding of what the student body wants for the school. Stanley Silien who is completing his capstone and internship with the student involvement team planned this party with Lake and other Interns.

“This is something that has never happened here,” Silien said. “This is a great opportunity for all students to have fun on the campus. Since covid there haven’t been that many events of this size on main campus.”

Averett’s main campus is a dry campus meaning there will be no alcohol permitted and the safety and security of the students is the team’s top priority.

“There will be security and cameras,” Silien said. “We want everyone to have a great time enjoying friends and food in the parking lot. But at the end of the day the safety of everyone is more important. Students should be smart about this and be aware of possible action if there is a problem.”

This event is shaping up to be a promising event for students to have a space on campus to socialize. With music provided by one of Averett’s own students DJ Bryant who will have table in the parking lot.

“My first year here was pretty quiet due to covid,” Tommy Baldwin a junior in the business program at Averett said, “This block party really shows how far the school has come from everyone being stuck in a dorm to students wanting to get out and have fun.”

If you have more ideas like this, get in contact with any of the people in student involvement to continue fun things for students.