Staying Busy: How Students on Campus Balance School and Work

Zoe Winnes, Staff Writer

While balancing tasks such as school and athletics can be overwhelming, many students also have jobs whether it be on or off campus. Many students take on these responsibilities to keep themselves busy and/or support themselves financially. 

Luke Martin, a senior majoring in Sports Medicine, has been at Trey Belcher training, a local gym here in Danville, for almost a year. Before becoming an employee, Martin had previously trained at the gym since he was 13 years-old. Martin has found 

it fairly easy when it comes to balancing his school work and job. 

“My job is super flexible when it comes to my schooling,” Martin says. “I also have the chance to meet different people and train them, which is something I hope to continue to do in the future.” College students often try to find jobs or internships that relate to their major.

“Working with Trey has allowed me to combine both what he has taught me and what I have learned in school.” Martin said. “I’ve learned how to care for others through physical fitness on a day to day basis.”

Alyssa McDaniel, a senior majoring in biomedical science and minoring in psychology, works at Countryside Grocery and Grill in Callands, Virginia. Mcdaniel is also a part of the work study program for the biology department and volunteers at a local physical therapy office for a few hours a week. 

“At first, balancing work and school was very difficult for me,” Mcdaniel says. “It took some getting used to, but once I found the perfect balance along with time management it became easier.”

Many students still struggle, even if they have found the perfect way to balance their school work and their job. A student’s work load could have a lot to do with this, such as finals and exams. “Some days it is still difficult, but not unbearable.”

McDaniel believes that school should be one’s top priority. “Your grades should be your top priority,” McDaniel says. “There are always opportunities to work, so don’t take college for granted.”

Rondell Felder Jr., a senior majoring in Integrative Health Psychology, works at Firehouse Subs here in Danville. “I’ve been working at the Danville location since September, but I have worked at the locations back home in Maryland since 2018,” Felder Jr. says. 

Students with jobs often miss out on social activities that take place on and off campus. “Having a job can be a sacrifice when you’re in college,” Felder Jr. said. “You should always try to take time when it is appropriate to have free time away from school and work.”