The Cougars Take on Inflation

Kris Richmond, Staff Writer

Averett University students already deal with the stresses of being a college student like class work loads and finding time to also work a job. Inflation has been added to the list of worries for the students. Danville, which is usually known by the students for having cheaper gas prices, is now sitting at a net average of $3.45 per gallon.

With Averett having a wide range of students who commute to and from school as well as for internships, the recent rise in gas prices can be rough for the students to adjust to. 

“This affects the students in many different areas of life such as going to placements required by the university,” Morgann Dills, an Averett senior, said. 

“It makes it harder because I have to put more money aside for my car and living the college life it is a struggle to find money to put aside,” Jonel Fitz, a freshman, said. 

But with the recent inflation students have found positives from the situation and learned valuable life lessons. 

“As a college student, I try to force myself to spend less money so I don’t have to worry about losing money when it comes,” Tony Blackman, senior, said. 

The rising costs have forced other students to learn to budget their funds and be more creative with their free time.

“As a student I have had to really learn how to budget my money and time as well as determine the wants and needs in my life,” Jaemir Wright, senior, said. “Also finding fun things to do without spending money has helped and allowed me to not worry so much about things I can’t control.”

The gas prices are slowly starting to go down as they were at one point creeping up on $4.00 per gallon. It’s very impressive to see how Averett students are handling the situation and that they can find good no matter what situation.