Tips to Make Job Hunting Less Stressful

Ryan Taube, Coordinator of Career Competitiveness

Jahna Waters, Editor

Whether a freshman is looking for some extra cash, or a senior is looking for a start to their career, the need for jobs is present on our campus.

Job hunting can be overwhelming. The process can be less of a burden if students know where to look to narrow their options.

“Indeed and LinkedIn are good resources for job hunting,” Ryan Taube, coordinator of career competitiveness,  said. “Handshake, specifically, is a great resource for students.”

Those who are looking for full-time or part-time jobs often worry that they will be at a disadvantage due to their lack of experience. To combat this fear, there are ways that students can gain meaningful experience before they graduate. 

“Internships during school are helpful to gain experience,” Taube said. “If students do not have experience in a certain field, talking about transferable skills from previous jobs in an interview is really valuable.”

One important aspect of job hunting is making sure that the business or organization is a good fit. Some businesses and organizations lack aspects that individuals feel are important for a stable working environment. 

“It is important to ask questions in interviews,” Taube said. “Some examples of valuable questions could be what the management styles are like, how they would define the company culture and opportunities for professional development.”

Students should have a resume and cover letter when applying for jobs. Resumes and cover letters can be sent to Taube at the CCECC for approval to ensure that they are ready to be reviewed by a potential employer. 

“I recommend if you don’t have a resume to make one, as they are essential for the application process,” Taube said. “Most importantly, don’t send out your resume unless it’s been reviewed and is one to two pages long.”

There is a lot of meaningful advice when it comes to job hunting. Taube’s experiences shaped his idea of the best job hunting tip for anyone in need of a job.

“Being proactive and trying not to get discouraged is crucial with job hunting,” Taube said. “I had 20 interviews before I got offers when moving from K12 to higher education, so it is important to stay motivated and to not give up because of one bad experience.”

Students can email Taube at [email protected] or make an in-person or virtual appointment through Handshake for resume and cover letter approval, or advice and tips for job hunting, whether they are a freshman or senior. Happy job hunting!