The Momentum of Averett Men’s Wrestling Program

Bryson Mclaughlin, Staff Writer

The Averett Men’s Wrestling program had a lot of success last season and has continued its success into this current season. The team has been doing great and has even beaten some D1 and D2 schools. The team also has a few individual standouts with five All-Americans. 

The success of the wrestling program can be attributed to a variety of things. 

“The coaching staff has done a tremendous job with developing the athletes since the very beginning of the program,” senior wrestler Joseph Jones said. “Not only did the coaching staff develop the athletes fundamentally, they equipped the upper class men with exquisite leadership skills.” 

“Hard work and the family environment is a key reason for our success,” senior wrestler Samuel Braswell said. 

The Averett Wrestling Program started in the 2017-2018 season and it is very exciting to see its progress. 

“It’s great coming from where we came from my freshman year until now and to see the progress we made in such a short amount of time,” Braswell said. 

The wrestling team has been terrific so far, but they are still trying to attain certain goals. 

“With the leaders that this team has, the Averett Wrestling goals of becoming conference champions, regional champions, and national champions are all attainable,” Jones said. 

Samuel Braswell dominates opponent from Ferrum University.
The Southeast Conference Tournament will be hosted at Averett University this weekend.