Averett University Hosts the 6th Annual Engaged Learning Showcase

Faculty, staff, and student winners of the 2021 Engaged Learning Awards.

Kelly King, Editor

Last week, Averett University held it’s 6th annual Engaged Learning Showcase to recognize student and faculty accomplishments. There were 25 different projects showcasing course based service learning projects, internship, volunteer experiences, and undergraduate research. Danville Community College and Piedmont Community College represented students and faculty alongside Averett at the event. 

“This was a giant illustration of our mission in action and of positive impact throughout our region,” Dr. Tiffany Franks, president of Averett University, said. “This was a big night to smile large!”

This event also featured the seven 2021 Engaged Leader Awards for outstanding faculty members, staff, students, and community partners. The faculty and staff winners were Karen Oaks with nursing, Stephanie Smith with biology, Tammy Jackson with student life, and Emma Olsson with athletics. Bryan Price with the UVA Cancer Center won the community partner award. Students Lydie Kodio won the intern of the year award, and Zamyiah Mangum won volunteer of the year. 

“Despite COVID’s attempt to slow us down, we adapted and pivoted toward offering more engaged opportunities for students,” Dr. Billy Wooten, executive director of the CCECC and dean of engaged learning said. “This has led us to double our service-learning course offerings, volunteer opportunities, and career development experiences, as evidenced tonight by this packed showcase.”

After awards were announced, attendees were then able to visit the tables set up and view what each member was able to accomplish. Teachers, students, and employers from each school and community partners were able to meet with students and faculty to view what each had accomplished in the last year.