Kid’s Day at Averett University

Kappa Delta Alpha sorority members before Kid’s Day started.

Kelly King, Editor

Averett University invited kids in Danville and Pittsylvania county to North Campus on Saturday, September 25th for some fun activities in between athletic games. The sorority affiliated with Averett, Kappa Delta Alpha, led chalk painting, coloring, flag making, and more from 3 oclock until 6 oclock that evening. 

Members in the sorority gave the children two different coloring stencils to choose to decorate and then showed the children how to tape the papers onto wooden rods to make their paintings into flags that the kids could fly at the football game. 

“I had such an amazing time being able to spend one-on-one time with my local community members,” Mckinlee Shrader, senior nursing major and Kappa Delta Alpha’s president, said. “Our girls love to be directly involved with the community surrounding them, whether it is Averett students or Danville residents, so they have been excited about this event for weeks.”

Averett University also hosted a Food Truck rally in the parking lot outside the football stadium with over 10 food trucks offering many different options that same day. Students, staff, and the local community were all invited to come and try some of the small businesses setups. 

At the end of Kid’s Day, everyone was welcomed into a packed stadium to watch Averett men’s football battle the Maryville Scots. Next Saturday, October 2nd is Homecoming for Averett so be sure to check your Cougar Connection for more information regarding Homecoming events.