Young Women’s Basketball Team Up for the Task

Montre Cash, Staff Writer

This school year has been nothing short of different and this year for the women’s basketball team will be the same. This year Coach Aby Diop and her team look to build on what was a promising last season. The Cougars posted an 18-9 record last season and lost in the quarterfinals of the USA South tournament championship. 

In her first season as a Head Coach Diop had a successful outing with five seniors and two all conference players. Unfortunately this season she lost all of those players and has to rebuild with a young team. This season she has no seniors and seven freshmen. The team is led by four juniors that were a part of a championship team their freshman season. These four are taking a leadership role and trying to bring the team together.

“It has been difficult at times but as the year is going on we have developed a bond together and are starting to become more as a team” junior Camryn Lunsford said. 

The team is off 2-4 start with two games this upcoming weekend vs Pfeiffer University. Last week Lunsford was named USA South Player of the Week, she averaged 18.5 points, 5 steals, 4.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists per game. Her efforts are inspiring her younger teammates.

Talking with freshman Talia Proper I asked her how it was with playing like a player like Lunsford she said “She is such an amazing player,” freshman teammate Talia Proper said.  “It is crazy the things she does sometimes. I am glad I can learn from a player of her caliber”. 

The team is going to look to continue their hot streak while they have won their last two games. The women wrap up the regular season on February 28th and then will have a conference tournament at the beginning of March.