Career Services Connecting Students with Employers, Grad Schools

Caitlin Towler, Staff Writer

Averett’s Center for Community Engagement and  Career Competitiveness (CCECC) has been hard at work on supplying students with the tools they need for employment during the pandemic. The staff members of the CCECC are Angie McAdams, the director of the CCECC, and Ryan Taube, the coordinator of career competitiveness. 

According to McAdams, virtual interviewing is likely here to stay.

“Once COVID is a thing of the past, companies will still likely utilize virtual interviewing as it is a major cost savings measure.  Now is the time for all students to sharpen virtual interview skills and to further polish his/her virtual brand.”

She advises students who are graduating this semester to begin looking for employment now, as “The job market is tight and competition is fierce.”

“Take advantage of career networking platforms such as LinkedIn and Handshake.  Polish and perfect your profile on each and connect with alumni and others who are working in your desired field.  Do not be afraid to reach out to these contacts and ask career questions.”

The CCECC currently offers two virtual workshops per week and this will continue through the spring semester. They are also hosting a graduate school fair on November 5th with 65 schools represented. The program advertises these workshops, events, and fairs by “social media, emails to students, Cougar Connections, flyers around campus, and communication with faculty.”

“Many major employers are offering virtual networking workshops for our students. These workshops may also be accessed by logging into Handshake,” McAdams said. “Companies that have provided workshops this semester include: Capital One, SAS, Visa, Proctor and Gamble, Goldman Sachs, Bank of America, Booz, Allen Hamilton, and many more.”

Attending these workshops are “not only a wonderful opportunity to learn from some of the nation’s most talented professionals, but they are also an opportunity to connect with people who may be able to help students find a dream job!” McAdams said.

Students can register for all workshops, fairs, and events using handshake (http://averett.joinhandshake.com/), as well as making appointments with Angie and Ryan using the same site.

“Handshake is a career services platform with thousands of employers and jobs.  It is a wonderful way to connect virtually, find a job/internship, register for career development events, and to make appointments.”

The program now provides students with “a private, virtual interview space located within the CCECC.  The space has a laptop ready to go as well as a professional backdrop.” An appointment to utilize the space can be made through Handshake.

There is a now a new program in place for testing fees.

“The CCECC is now offering students testing assistance in the form of a one-time payment to help off-set the costs associated with tests such as PRAXIS, GRE, etc.,” McAdams said. “We also have test prep materials available at the CCECC.