#BlackLivesMatter: Students March for Justice

Isaiah Grice, Staff Writer

This statement “Black Lives Matter” was introduced in 2013 after the acquittal of the murder of Trayvon Martin. After ongoing deaths in the black community and the continuous disappointments with our justice system, this movement has become a very popular one. George Floyd, an unarmed black man was added to the ever expanding list of unarmed black men that have died to police brutality. Officer Derek Chauvin kneeled on Floyd’s neck for 9 minutes and four seconds, which resulted in Floyd’s death. There have been numerous peaceful and violent protests throughout the United States. The Black Lives Matter movement has shed light onto some of the issues within the nation and has impacted people in every community, even our own.

Tyler Redmond, a senior at Averett, from Asheville, NC was at a protest in his hometown on the front lines when things took a turn for the worse. Redmond said the experiences were eye opening. 

“One minute I’m peacefully protesting and the second I’m getting hit in the face with tear gas,” Redmond said. “We can’t even stand up and speak our mind, not even just as blacks but anyone who supports this movement.”

This is the reality of people all across the world. They don’t understand why everyone can’t be treated equally.

“As of late, African Americans have suffered tremendously due to the acts of unjustified actions of the police. It isn’t meant to take away acknowledgement from other races and ethnicities, but as of late the black community has been hit very hard,’’ sophomore Dallas Danner said. 

Danner has also participated in protests in his hometown of Gastonia, NC. Danner thought of his experience as fulfilling and loved the unity that he and a few friends started in his community. 

“It was also good seeing other races acknowledge us with respect and love. That gave me hope that there are still good people out there, and that change is not close but very near. It’s up to our generation to help spark that change.”

With the ongoing pandemic of Covid-19, and a tension filled political race, police brutality needs to be at the forefront of the conversation. It seems like every day there’s an unarmed black man being killed by law enforcement. Change needs to happen. #BLM