Study Tips and Stress Management to Get You Through the Semester

Brianna+Warren+studying+for+her+Interpersonal+Communication+Midterm+

Caitlin Towler

Brianna Warren studying for her Interpersonal Communication Midterm

Caitlin Towler, Staff Writer

As the end of the semester with its papers and exams draws closer, students and professors prepare for the rigorous days of studying and stress.

“Retaining information and making sure I have everything memorized is my main concern for exams,” Brianna Warren, a senior majoring in psychology, said.

During this time of the semester, students are busily trying to cram information and often spend their free time studying. It’s times like these where Averett’s Student Success Center is most active. Holly Kilby, the assistant director of academic support for the Success Center offers some advice for students.

According to Kilby, a skill that often impacts grades and confidence is time management. Another is endurance, and this is important because “students need to learn that deep learning takes time.” She emphasized that “Attending two tutoring sessions per week for a class is typically not enough time to master that one class – work must be done outside of class/tutoring.”

“Students should have a personalized organizational system in order to track assignments and to plan study periods,” Kilby said. “Often, students try to cram the night before an exam; however, if the student has not bothered to engage with the materials beforehand, then the student will likely find that cramming is not beneficial.”

Stress comes along with exam week, and counselors such as Jessie Henderson, counseling resident for Averett, are here to help manage that stress.

“One of my favorite suggestions to give students on how to relieve stress on campus that is easy and simple is to take a walk,” Henderson said. “We are fortunate to have a campus that is located in a beautiful Danville neighborhood. Spending as little as 5 minutes outside, breathing in open air, and exposing the body to sunshine is a quick way to decrease stress levels.”

She also suggested using the Prayer and Meditation room on the fourth floor of the student center located in the spiritual life office.

“This spot is perfect for students to take a break from their studying and escape to an environment that is calm, quiet, and grounding.”

Another method that Dr. Zach Humphries, instructor of communication, suggests is meditation.

“We oftentimes go to bed with our minds racing about what we still need to accomplish,” Humphries said. “Meditation allows me to put all of my thoughts and worries away for the time being and just be mindful of the present.”

Humphries also suggests that beginners should start slow and to read about meditation to see what they like about the activity.

“Start with trying to meditate for 5 minutes. Then, work yourself up to 10 minutes a day.”

For help with studying, visit the Student Success Center. If stress is getting the best of you, an appointment can be made with Averett’s counseling services using the link down below:

https://www.averett.edu/student-life/student-services/counseling/