The Chanticleer

Bradley “Stick” Jefferson: The Grand Finale

JaCorey Burley, Writer

Last Season, last game, last everything about one’s college career is expected to be outstanding.

Senior Bradley “Stick” Jefferson made sure he checked many goals off of his senior season checklist. With a breakout football season, Jefferson has opened many doors for himself in his senior season alone.

The Averett Cougars went 8-2 behind Jefferson’s nation-leading kickoff-return average as well as his consistent performance at cornerback. In response to these astounding accolades, Jefferson remains humble.

“It was all God and I give my thanks to him,” Jefferson said.

Following the season, Jefferson was shocked to be invited to Mexico City to participate in the Aztec Bowl, which features players nationwide from Division II and III athletic programs. Upon receiving the offer,  Jefferson picked up the phone and made some calls.

“I had to call my Grandmother first and let her know what had happened. She was more excited than I was about the big news.”

After notifying family and friends, it was time for Jefferson to focus and begin his training for a game that would aid the progression of his athletic career. This game could potentially open doors for Jefferson at the next level, whether that be with the National Football League (NFL), the Canadian Football League (CFL), or the Australian Football League (AFL).

“I knew it was go time. All my hard work was about to pay off,” Jefferson said.

Once the game started, the rest was history. Jefferson ended the game with the only touchdown on a kick-off return, played multiple positions on offense & defense , and managed to bring home the Most Valuable Player (MVP) trophy.

After his performance, Jefferson’s thoughts on winning MVP were similar to his response about his last football season at Averett.

“All the Glory went to God, and without him none of this would have been possible.”

This game performance opened many doors for Jefferson, allowing him to take a stride towards his goals of playing for a professional or semi-professional football league. His game day performance earned him a pro-day at the University of South Alabama, where many scouts showed interest and invited him back for more testing to help get him to the next level.

“I worked hard, and gave it all I had, which satisfied me knowing I did the best that I could,” Jefferson said in response to his preparation for going to the pro-day.

Jefferson has one more pro-day and then he looks to take his talent to the next level.

His advice to freshmen reflects what he has learned along the way.

“(If you) work hard and stay on course, everything will fall in place– just by doing the little things and can lead to even bigger success.”

• Bradley “Stick” Jefferson: The Grand Finale

Sports

Carthon: Striving for Greatness

Sports

Road to Glory

Sports

Football, Women’s Soccer Use Offseason to Build Program

Sports

Athletes Express Ideas About North Campus Expansion

Sports

Cougars battle back after injuries

• Video

Introducing the Chanticleer or What Would You do With a Million Dollars

Features

Davis to End Distinguished Career in Education

Features

The Ember Serves as a Creative Outlet for Students

Features

AU Success Center is Teaming up to Help you Succeed

Features

Averett B4B take on conference at VT

The Student News Site of Averett University