Volunteerism Opportunities Abound at AU

Allison Davis, Staff Writer

At Averett, volunteerism and service are a staple of our community. We have been noted by the Carnegie Foundation and won several awards for the work done and for Averett’s dedication to giving back to its community. Freshmen at Averett complete a service project with their IDS101 class at a nonprofit organization in the community and service is encouraged throughout the remainder of every student’s college experience.

Coming up this month, Averett is hosting a Harvest Pack on September 27th from 11 am until 1 pm. This is a national organization that promotes nutritional oatmeal packets. Averett students and staff will participate in packing 20,000 pounds of this oatmeal through an assembly line. This program was noted by Tia Yancey to be, “so much fun that students don’t even realize they’re working.”

Yancey is the director of volunteerism at Averett University.She has seen first hand the difference students can make in the community

“It doesn’t take long. 30 seconds of your time can make a whole world of difference for someone.”

For students that would like to get involved on their own, they can contact her via email or come visit her at the CCECC. For volunteering on a community level, students can create an account on serve365.org in order to see volunteer needs of all kinds posted by nonprofits in the area. A new volunteering platform called Cougar Connect is in the works to provide service opportunities in the area for those who have reached out to Averett students.

Volunteering is important because a lot of nonprofit organizations are here to provide a resource to the community, but they do not have the funds to provide resources to everyone or pay for the labor required. That’s why everyone should do their part to give back and see where they can get more involved.