Averett Announces New Online Programs

Laquelle Charlton, Staff Writer

Averett University is launching four new academic programs through Averett Online and transitioning to a new student information system (SIS) with grant funding from the Danville Regional Foundation and in response to market demands.

Most of the programs will start in 2022 and are currently under development. The four online programs include:

• entrepreneurship and small business operations,
  • healthcare administration,
  • information systems/security, and
  • psychology.

Even though the online programs are intended for adult learners. Most of these programs will serve traditional, on-campus Averett students.

Entrepreneurship and small business operation the bachelor of science online begins fall 2022 and the master of science begins spring 2022.

This curriculum will concentrate on the many different aspects of running a small business, with a particular emphasis on entrepreneurship. Graduates will be prepared to either start a new business or take their existing small/medium business to the next stage of growth and transformation. Students will collaborate with the newly established Averett Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, which will be headed by John Vigouroux, an Averett alumnus, entrepreneur, and the University’s first chief entrepreneurship and innovation officer.

For the graduates interested in healthcare administration the bachelor of science online will begin in the fall of 2023 and the master of science will begin fall 2022.

Averett would equip health care managers with the expertise and skills needed to work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, physician offices, care centers, and other healthcare organizations.

For those interested in information system/security the bachelor of science online will begin fall 2022.

This online curriculum will concentrate on the increasingly important and demanded areas of information technology, information management, and cybersecurity under the direction of Dr. John Hoag, a highly accomplished academic leader and professor and department chair of Averett’s computer information systems (CIS) department.

For those interested in psychology the bachelor of science online will begin fall 2022.

A bachelor’s degree in psychology will prepare a student for a variety of public relations and social service positions. It may also serve as a springboard for those who choose to continue their education or enter a counseling graduate program in the future. This curriculum will expand on Averett’s unique conventional undergraduate program, which includes concentrations in biological psychology, clinical and counseling psychology, and integrative health psychology, and will incorporate at least two areas of concentration that concentrate on applied psychology, such as the growing and important field of addiction. Dr. David Rosenberg, a licensed clinical psychologist, professor and director of Averett’s Department of Psychology, and chair of the University’s Division of Physical and Psychological Health Sciences, will lead both online services.