Lessons Learned and a Farewell

I remember sitting on the fourth row of Blount Chapel for the first day of classes of my freshman year. I remember my first class was persuasion and that I was terrified. I remember thinking to myself, “What have you got yourself into?”

I chose to be a communications major because I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life. I thought communications is in all jobs, so it made sense to study something that would cover literally anything and everything.

I didn’t know that choosing to be a communications major would be one of the best decisions of my life and that I would fall in love with sharing people’s stories.

The Chanticleer has allowed me to meet and make connections with many students and faculty and staff members that I likely wouldn’t have known otherwise. It’s allowed me to help others that are interested in improving their writings or to achieve the position that I have.

There have been many rewards for serving as a writer and multimedia editor for The Chanticleer the past year and a half. There have been equally as many struggles. Being both a writer and editor has forced me out of my comfort zone and into a position where others seek me for advice.

The truth is, while The Chanticleer and Averett taught me a lot about journalism and writing, they taught me more about myself than anything else.

I learned that it’s okay to get frustrated with yourself and to take a little “me” time when you get overwhelmed. I learned that I’m not the best at meeting deadlines because I’m a perfectionist when it comes to writing and I will type the same paragraph five times with the exact same wording because it just doesn’t seem right.

I never could have imagined as a freshman that I would receive the 2019 Chanticleer Service Award and it still blows my mind today. It’s one thing for others to see a change in you, but it’s another to see the change for yourself. I know I’m a different person than I was four years ago.

One thing that hasn’t changed is that I’m still not exactly sure what I want to do with my life, but I’m figuring it out a little every day. If I had known exactly what I wanted to do before college, I may have never found The Chanticleer or a passion for helping people that need a voice. It’s okay to not know what the future holds because there are so many opportunities out there and I refuse to hold myself back from them.

If I had a time machine, I would have been staff on The Chanticleer team as many semesters as credit hours would allow. I can only imagine what more I could have discovered with more than three semesters of the class. However, I’m grateful for the opportunities I have been awarded and will carry the lessons that I have learned with me always.

I thank the entire staff of The Chanticleer, this semester and past. It has been a pleasure to work with such a hardworking group of individuals. Keep telling stories and pushing the limits. We are the voices of Averett and people will listen to what we have to say.

I thank Dr. Susan Huckstep for giving me the opportunity to serve as the multimedia editor and supporting me through everything. Thank you for believing in the quiet, terrified freshman that sat in the fourth row of Blount Chapel in persuasion class.